Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Holy crap.

Okay so here's the deal.

I'll write more about my impressions, feelings, etc. later, but for now, I'd like to point out that being the only man at Xintan (the only male foreign teacher I mean), I apparently have the important role of being able to drink for the group. I read this on the plane, and it has been proven true - Drinking is a competition, and a big one. It's 1:43 in the afternoon, and after an amazingly large lunch, I find myself heavily intoxicated. I constantly am toasted in a, "bottoms up" toast, meaning finish my glass. the glasses they use are about one and a half shots, and can be filled with either beer, or more likely, a Chinese grain alcohol called baijiu. see picture for example. Very delicious, yet very strong. I'd also like to point out that they got me drunk before we have to go to the police station to register as foreigners. This should be interesting...

More later.


Example of Baijiu. It's good stuff!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The kid is in the country 24 hours and already he's soused. Dang, those students must be an hospitable bunch! Rough ride, eh Nick?