Saturday, May 9, 2009

Best Signs Ever

One of my favorite day to day experiences living in China is the inevitable encounters with English translations. Signs, warnings, advertisements, store names, etc. Often will have an English translation of the Chinese sign/warning/advertisement/store name, or sometimes you will encounter signs/warnings/advertisements/store names that simply are in English, and simply offer you a good, hearty, WTF?!

Suffice it to say, that English written by non-native speakers can end up hilarious. The ever infamous website Engrish details this phenomena with mostly Japanese-English translations. In China the blend of English-Chinese is often called "Chinglish." I'm assuming that this, in general, started out as a negative term. However, the idea of "Chinglish" is losing some of the negative connotation. Recently there was an endearing article in a Chinese newspaper about preserving Chinglish as a distinctly "Chinese" thing, for example.

What follows are some of my favorite encounters with Chinglish - both in it's hilarious, and more eloquent forms.

I agree. I always liked the teeny tiny grass.

This is some form of food, I think chocolate... anyway, the advanced technology promises "best enjoyment."

Wait does this mean I can re-use the cash I already used? F'N SWEET!

The cultural relics I understand, but protect the railings?

Screw you think days, nobody likes you.

I love this sign. This, I think, is the type of "Chinglish" they were discussing preserving in the news article. I mean, I'm not sure you could say "keep the hell off" any better.

Gotta keep that imagination in check. Don't let it become ill-mannered, as imaginations are prone to do...

Your tumble is inevitable. Just be careful while you do it.

What rolls down stairs
alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack,
And fits on your back?
It's log, log, log

It's log, it's log,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log, it's better than bad, it's good."

An 80's hair mettle band AND successful clothing boutique!

Those damned butt plates.

Clearly, the most important part of any good wine is its surname.

When you realize you're a loser, well, there's a coffee place just for you.

And last, but not least... My favorite sign thus far on my trip:

This is a fast food chicken restaurant. Much like a KFC. Somebody just needs to use photoshop and put the "&" out of it's misery...

Happy Mothers Day!

That is all.

2 comments:

Tawney said...

I'm in heaven!
Love, mom

Unknown said...

Fascinating. I never considered the dangers confronting butt plates every day of their existence! Thanks for opening my eyes. Grum