Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm never leaving Yangshuo. Ever.

After spending a few days in Beijing (I'll try and write about that later, but probably not until I get back if ever. It was cool, but I'm going again with Narva and Amy so I think this last trip might get lost in the detritus), I took a flight to the city of Guilin in the south. I spent two days in Guilin and had a perfectly fine time - there is a magnificent park with caves and karst peaks (Guilin and Yangshuo's claim to fame in some ways), as well as monkeys. Not in the zoos, but just hanging out in the park. See the picture. However, today I hopped on a boat and traveled down the Li river to Yanghsuo where I currently reside, and, as you will see from the pictures, it's absolutely stunning.



My sweet monkey friend. We hung out for a while. No big deal.


The Li River. The peaks literally just rise out of the water like this - it's completely unreal scenery.



Me on the Li river cruise. I figured I'd finally post a picture of myself.


The city of Yangshuo, nestled into he mountains. You can't see it but just on the other side of the hills is the magnificently beautiful Li river.

Sorry this is a quick post, but dinner is almost ready. I'm staying at a place called the Yangshuo Culture House - It's a small establishment run by an extremely nice man by the name of Mr. Wei. Wonderfully clean, quiet, fantastically warm and friendly, and all meals included - cooked my he family and eaten with the other guests and the family. I'm told there are two ways to spend Chinese Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) - in a big city, or with a Chinese family. I'm thinking this will fulfill the latter nicely. I'm heading out rock climbing tomorrow and I can't wait (one of the main reasons I'm never leaving). After that there is some fantastic countryside to explore and other sights to see. By far the best place I've been yet!

1 comment:

Tawney said...

Gorgeous! And you're looking not bad yourself!
Love, mom