Monday, October 13, 2008

Picture of The Week!

So I actually missed last week, but for all of you out there who would much rather see cool pictures than spend an hour reading the marathon posts (which I'm guessing is most of you, alas... I can't blame you though - I'm terrible at keeping up with blogs), here we go:

The pictures this week hail from the city of Shanghai. While nothing really caught my eye like the beer in a bag or "Jazzbeefsteak" (lets be honest, I'm not sure who I would be able to top those two), I did manage to snag some cool shots. I also thought this would be a good time to branch out from the common theme of "comical" photos. After all, there is no rule stating the "Picture of The Week" must be funny.

First we have two shots (I couldn't decide which I like better, although I'm leaning toward the first, and more mysterious, of the two) of a building to the west of People's Park in central Shanghai - I was reminded of Isengard.



My other choice for this week is a bit comical (okay I couldn't resist) - inside the Shanghai Urban Planning and Exhibition Museum, somewhere on the third or fourth floor, is a time line showing the progression of the city. Apparently, in 1920, the city planners decided to "debut" prosperity. There wasn't an exact date, but my guess is March 26th, 1920. Sounds reasonable, right?

That's all for now! Be watching for a post on teaching and/or spaghetti dinners.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I'm talking about! Keep those photos coming! Although I have to admit, I rely on the marathon posts for my periodic dose of the Twilight Zone, zany madcap China style!

Anonymous said...

Isengard, eh? Well that sounds about right, considering that,theoretically,I can arrive in China by tunneling through MIDDLE EARTH. Har!
Your readings are most entertaining and colorful. Keep up the good work.